Cover Letter Tips for Paralegal
When looking for jobs as a Paralegal, knowing what the best steps to take will greatly improve your success. Take your job search to the next level by taking a look at the following short guide about how to find work.
1. Incorporate elements of your chosen field into your applications. Research the unique hiring practices and expectations for the job you want and let this information guide how you apply. This will lead to much stronger applications.
2. Make an effort to keep a positive attitude. The average job search is getting longer, but you cannot afford to become discouraged. Employers are looking for workers that are confident and optimistic.
3. Use your network to your advantage. Take time to build your network as you seek work. You never know when a connection you make may lead to the job you have been searching for. Everyone you meet is a potential lead.
4. Research all your options. You may have a first choice for the position you want, but there are many jobs that will benefit your career. If you are having trouble being hired, you should already be familiar with other positions that will make it easier to acquire your desired job later.
5. Be persistent. Many applicants are filtered out of consideration simply because they give up. Until you are given a definitive answer, you should never assume you did not get the job and continue to follow up with phone calls.
Paralegal Job Seeking Tips
One of the most important aspects to keep in mind when looking for jobs as a Paralegal is how strong your cover letter is. Some of the universal rules that you should follow are detailed below.
1. Be active when writing. Employers are most interested in the actions you have taken when working. Be sure to extensively use strong action verbs, especially when detailing your work history. Emphasize that you are an active worker.
2. Prioritize your experience and accomplishments sections. Because these are the sections that include information about your previous working experiences, they are the most important. Ensure that they include the most information and that they are strong.
3. Be as specific as possible. Show that you know the field that you are trying to enter. Every position has unique attributes, so you should be slightly reworking your cover letter for each application to make it as relevant as it can be.
4. Find a way to stand out. You are going to have a lot of competition, so you need to be memorable. Remember that there are strict format restrictions, so the content of your cover letter should be the unique and interesting aspect.
5. Analyze the surface appearance of your cover letter as well. While the content is more important, the organization of information will still influence the first impression you make. Find and eliminate all instances of gaps, wasted space, large blocks of text, and typographical errors.
The cover letter template pack on this page is for a student seeking a job as a paralegal. The applicant is seeking a entry-level position with a medium-sized law firm. The cover letter below has been written based on the paralegal resume sample hosted on our website.
In a hurry? Our state of the art cover letter builder can help you write a convincing cover letter in minutes.
Build My Free Cover Letter Now >>
Both of the letters on this page follow the templates outlined in our step-by-step cover letter writing guide.
Table of Contents
- Paralegal Cover Letter Sample
- Legal Assistant Cover Letter Sample
SEE ALSO > How to Write a Resume
1. Paralegal Cover Letter
The cover letters below are based on the paralegal resume example on the left. Click on the image to get tips on how to write a resume that supports your cover letter.
Since the applicant has just graduated with an Associates Degree in Paralegal Studies, they focus on their educational achievements. Internship experience is essential for students or recent grads that lack professional experience. The candidate below outlines the major responsibilities they had during their internship at mid-size law firm.
Download the template pack below and choose your favorite style — Park, Elegant, or Classic. Use the samples to help you format your own cover letter.
Click Here to Download Our
Paralegal CL Template Pack
[341 Company Address
Company City, State, xxxxx
Dear Mr./Mrs./Ms. [Hiring Manager’s Name],
This letter is in regards to my interest in applying for the entry-level paralegal position at [company name]. With my skills and qualifications I am more than capable of providing paralegal support services to protect your company’s innovations and intellectual property.
While pursuing an Associates Degree in Paralegal Studies from [university name], I have developed knowledge of intellectual property law. As a member of the Junior Paralegal Club, I was able to stay up to date on all current affairs in relation to corporate law. With an internship at a mid-size law firm I was able to apply this knowledge and gain hands on experience in the field.
During my internship with The Wachester Firm, I was responsible for:
- The preparation of documents for criminal and civil trials by scheduling and conducting interviews with clients, witnesses, and other lawyers
- Creating and maintaining a paper and electronic litigation database
- In-depth research and analysis of cases on corporate governance and litigation
Together, I believe my educational background and internship experience makes me a suitable a candidate for the paralegal position at your firm. I have attached my resume highlighting my academic and professional skills and look forward to hearing from you in due course. I appreciate your time and consideration.
SEE ALSO > Free, Downloadable Resume Template Packs
2. Legal Assistant Cover Letter
Click Here to Download Our
Legal Assistant Cover Letter Example
Hiring Manager’s Name
341 Company Address
Palo Alto, California, 94301
Dear [Hiring Manager’s Name],
Thank you for the opportunity to apply for the legal assistant role at your firm. I was excited when I stumbled upon your job posting on [Website]. It’s clear that you seek a candidate that is familiar with case management software, case preparation, and trial proceedings. Given these prerequisites, I am confident that I have the necessary skills to successfully fulfill the legal assistant opening.
I am grateful for the time that I spent at Bohemor & Associates. In 2014, I was first hired on as an administrative assistant and was in charge of all the clerical duties in the office. Over time, the partners at the firm helped me transition over to a paralegal role. I was taught how to properly draft litigation documents such as complaints, deposition notices, interrogatories, and subpoenas.
As a paralegal, I also acted as the point of contact for most of our clients and conducted all witness interviews. Bohemor & Associates trusted me to communicate with clients and witnesses due to my strict adherence to professionalism and confidentiality.
After reviewing my resume, I hope you will agree that I am the candidate that you have been looking for. I look forward to elaborating on how my specific skills and abilities will benefit your organization. Please contact me at [PHONE] or via email at [EMAIL] to arrange for a convenient time for us to meet.
Thank you for your consideration, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Didn’t find the answer you were looking for? For information on how to write your cover letter from scratch check out this guide that walks you through the steps here.